Friday, May 29, 2009

Sex shops, pot caffes and french fries...oh my...

So, one of the things I was most excited for in my second European adventure is my "freebie" city of Amsterdam on my layover to Italy. Now I say it is a freebie as I get a free city -- seven euro for the train and 3 euro for the french fries were my only expenses. I must admit, however, if you are not there for sex and if you are not there for pot and if you are not a 20 year old guy, you need not apply.

It was a pretty chilly day. No rain for the most part but a cold spring wind as I embarked on one of my customary walking tours (thanks to the help of Frommers online) which takes you through the dam and old part of the city, through the Red Light District and winding up at the train station. The royal palaces and main church left a lot to be desired and while the french fries gave me that fattening, fried carbohydrate high, I didn't partake in the other kind of high that the city is so famous (or infamous) for.

The Red Light district was an experience. Women of all shapes, races and sizes strutting their stuff in the shop windows -- a sight that is at the same time intriguing and disturbing. It didn't matter what gender you are --they were happy to accommodate any taste! Several men stood in the doorway calling out to get people to come in. Even I (in my sweatshirt and yoga pants) fell victim to their cries. When I said I wasn't interested, they ensured me that they had naked boys there as well -- WELL, in that case -- ummm, no. The twenty year old boys (who outnumbered everyone esle 7 to 1), certainly enjoyed it - although their nervous giggling and obvious over exaggerating of the situation made it quite evident that they were not mature enough to handle the situation. Most likely it was also the result of hanging out in a "no alcohol" cafe all morning. It does something to the brain.

Despite having 6 hours in the city, I opted for 3 and felt I had seen all I needed to see. I was tired from no sleep on the plane and wanted to avoid the rains that were coming in. I came back to the airport and cat napped in the waiting area. The flight into Florence was fine -- bumpy, but fine. I found myself in a very small airport and just opted for a cab to take me -- much easier than figuring out my way on no sleep and no light. Once again, I made it safely to my destination -- Firenze!

2 comments:

Noa said...

there are pot cafes in vancouver, too ... no need to fly anywhere!

Pixie Dust and Dragonflies ~ Ramblings and Musings said...

No sleep on the plane Kristie? Oh no......

I found your blog on Amsterdam enlightening, amusing and much as I expected from stories heard in the past from others who've been there.

Your blog entries continue to amaze me Kristie. You are a wonderful writer (and this is something you should perhaps think about down the road....). Finally, it is wonderful to vicariously visit locations as yet unseen.

Mom