Thursday, June 4, 2009

Venice...yes it is as magical as it looks...

As many are aware, I was so disappointed in December when Venice was flooded and I didn't get the chance to see the place that I had dreamt about for so many years. I left on the train early Monday morning and was in Venice -- Venezia -- before noon. Heather met me at the train station and we proceeded to begin our search for our accommodations. Now, someone should have told us that every street name in Venice appears seven times -- one in each of the various districts -- so, when we were so delighted that we have found it in the winding, twisting "calle", it was a big let-down that indeed we were in the wrong place. About 45 minutes later we found our accommodatio -- modest but just fine!

What is interesting about Venice is the fact that despite all of the movies and pictures that show this unbelievable place, oddly enough, when you are there it even seems somewhat natural. Somehow no cars but boats floating down these water streets (also called canals, I know) just seems like how life is meant to be. What is interesting, however, is that city life goes on without cars and streets. Think about that for a second: ambulances, police vehicles, UPS delivery, garbage disposal, all done by boat.

We decided to avoid the churches and the typical tourist traps and just walked and walked the calle, discovering the city. That evening we headed out at dusk, purchased a glass of wine at a corner shop, and proceeded to wander. When we eventually found our restaurant of choice, we enjoyed a wonderful Venetian meal next to a canal. I ordered our meals (completely in Italian), and it was just wonderful. Afterwards we wanded back to Piazza San Marco around midnight and were treated to three classical performances throughout the square. It was so magical and the end to the perfect day.

The next morning was spent browsing the shops and by four that afternoon I was back on the train. Is it odd that when I arrived in Firenze and made the familiar trip from the train station I actually felt that I was coming home?

1 comment:

Pixie Dust and Dragonflies ~ Ramblings and Musings said...

Ah.... how simply beautiful Kris.... I wish you had been able to capture Venezia in a bottle (corny as that may sound) so that I could experience it as well...

"Happy for you" does not begin to express my feelings...

Te amo mi hija.... siempre.

Mom