Saturday, June 6, 2009

A visit to Cortona...

Does the name sound familiar? Cortona, the Tuscan town made famous by Frances Mayes' book, Under the Tuscan Sun, is about an hour and a half away from Florence and is off the beaten path of most travellers. I arrived in Camucia by train and had to catch a bus up the hill to Cortona. I immediately noticed the difference from Siena and San Gimignano in the fact that there were much fewer tourists and also that there is much less there. Only a few shops and restaurants. I started climbing up the steep hill streets towards the Cathedral, stopped in another church but my hunger pains got the best of me and I went back down to the square for some lunch. La lasagne con formaggio e una bicchiere di vino bianco per favore. Afterwards, I was too tired to head back up that hill and decided instead to just wander the streets and enjoy the incredible views. There were a lot of cats lounging in the afternoon sun, although none that were impressed enough with my "venire gatto piccolo" (come here small cat) to indulge me. It was a nice day -- not overly impressive -- but I can say I have been there.

Today, perhaps off to Lucca, although the rain might keep me away...we'll see.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I am going to have to try to find that book and finish reading it Kristie.... I'd love to purchase the movie as well (so if you ever run across it....)....

I'll have you know that I went to Boston Pizza on purpose yesterday to have their Tuscan Chicken Pizza, half of which I brought home and ate for supper last night. I mentally thought of you as I ate it, realizing that only a few days earlier I had read in one of your articles what exactly a 'real' pizza is, in Tuscany. Alas, I tried and it's the best I can do, this far away from Tuscany, under the sun....

xo Mom